Barb’s BBQ Beef Short Ribs
This recipe is one of my husband Joe’s all-time favorites! These BBQ short ribs bake in the oven.
- 3+ pounds beef short ribs, cut in 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup minced onions
- 1/2 cup ketchup (Hunt’s ketchup is gluten free)
- 1/2 cup Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce (Sweet Baby Ray’s sauce is gluten free)
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrin’s is gluten free)
- 3 shakes celery seed
- Chipotle pepper to taste
- Approx. 3 tablespoons maple syrup* (optional)
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Blot short ribs and put in large casserole dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes to brown. Turn oven down to 350. Healthy Tip: Drain the fat from the casserole dish and blot the grease from short ribs with paper towels. Sautee onion in olive oil. Add the rest of ingredients to the onions to make sauce. Stir to dissolve brown sugar and combine. Pour sauce over ribs. Cover casserole with foil and bake for 2.5 to 3.5 hours or until tender. Turn short ribs over and baste with sauce after 1.5 hours. Add water to sauce if needed. Stir sauce to combine.